First year with SO: 2001
Hometown: Mishawaka, IN
Instrument: Powell Flute and Piccolo, both made in 1972
Bachelor of Music and Master of Music – Indiana University; Doctor of Musical Arts – The Juilliard School
Born in 1961 in Mishawaka, Indiana, James Zellers is currently a section flutist and piccolo player with the Sarasota Orchestra. James is the youngest of three boys born to first generation American born parents (his mother is Italian and his father is German and Belgium). The only musician in his family, James began studying piano at the age of four. By the age of eight, James was an organist and church musician. It wasn't until his senior year of high school that James began flute studies.
James and his husband, Jim Devlin, breed, train, and show Australian Shepherds. They are currently the proud owners of three award winning Aussies in Confirmation, Obedience, and Nose/Scent work.
Career Highlights/Musical Accomplishment:
Some of James's musical accomplishments include:
- North Carolina Visiting Artist/Recitalist 1991-2019
- Concerto soloist with Sea Cliff Chamber Players, Columbus Georgia Symphony, and Chautauqua Symphony
- Recorded with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
- Current Principal Flutist with Atlanta Opera Orchestra and Columbus Georgia Symphony
- Artist Affiliate – Flute at Emory University