- Sarasota Orchestra
- Hits: 32
The countdown begins. Join us as we welcome Jeffrey Kahane as he makes his debut as Music Director of the Sarasota Music Festival June 5-24. Come explore the magical combination of youthful promise and acclaimed talent that carries a reputation as one of the finest classical music festivals in the nation.
"Few musical works are as loved as the six "Brandenburg" Concertos by Johann Sebastian Bach. These six works display a lighter side of Bach's imperishable genius."National Public Radio
Facts about All Bach Friday Festival concert:
- J. S. Bach composed this famous collection of six concertos between 1708-1721, although they weren't commonly referred to as the Brandenburg Concertos until 150 years later.
- The source of the name for the concertos came from its original dedication in 1721 to Christian Ludwig, the margrave of Brandenburg.
- Parts of the Brandenburg Concertos have been in the scores of more than 15 films, including Die Hard, Hannibal, A Bridge Too Far, and Miracle.
- In 1977, the Voyager spacecraft included a Voyager Golden Record that contained images, natural sounds of Earth and some select musical pieces. The first movement of Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 was included for potential extraterrestrials to understand Earth culture.
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 is the longest concerto of the set Bach composed, running 23 minutes. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 is the shortest, running 10 minutes.
- Sizes of the six ensembles vary tremendously. Concerto No. 6 is the smallest ensemble with 7 musicians on stage, while Concerto No. 2 is the largest with 43 musicians.
- Jeffrey Kahane, new Music Director of the Sarasota Music Festival, will be conducting the entire concert from the harpsicord.
Tickets and More Information about All Bach on June 9